The Model TGAES hydrocarbon gas detector is an open path gas detection system that provides continuous monitoring of combustible hydrocarbon gas concentrations in the range of 0 to 5 LEL/m, over a distance of 15 to 650 feet (5 to 200 meters). Standard system outputs include 4-20mA, HART and RS-485 Modbus RTU serial communication. TGAES is capable of detecting most hydrocarbon gases and vapors including methane, propane, butane, propylene and others.
No direct electrical connection between the two modules is required. In some applications, one TGAES detection system can provide protection equivalent to as many as eight point detectors.
The TGAES transmitter module illuminates a direct linear path ending at the TGAES receiver module. As flammable hydrocarbon gases intersect the light beam between the two modules, certain IR wavelengths are absorbed by the gas, while other IR wavelengths are not. A pair of optical detectors and associated electronics located in the receiver module measures the absorption for both the active wavelength and reference wavelength. The ratio of absorption between the active and reference wavelengths determines the amount of gas intersecting the beam along its entire length. A microprocessor computes the gas concentration and converts the value into a 4-20mA signal and MODBUS register value.
Features and benefits
- Power stations and storage facilities
- Tank ships and other vessels
- Refineries, bulk terminals, tank farms
- LNG/LPG processing and storage
- Chemical, paint and fertilizer plants
- Power plants and gas turbines
- Transportation facilities
- Detects methane and most common hydrocarbon gases including ethane,
propane, butane and propylene with equal sensitivity
- Detection range of up to 200m
- T90 less than 5 seconds
- Corrosion-resistant 316 stainless steel enclosures
- Widest operating temperature range: -40°F to +140°F, (-40°C to +60°C)
- Ultra-reliable xenon flash-lamp
- Tri-color status LED or 96 character LCD for full graphical indication w/ SSS-903
- 4-20mA analog, MODBUS digital and relay outputs
- Convenient HART communicator port
- Primary heater protects optics from ice and secondary heater protects the internal electronics
- Able to operate even when obscured by fog, rain, dust, snow, or blowing sand.
The TGAES Open Path Gas Detector is ideal for monitoring
hydrocarbon leaks at fuel storage facilities.
The TGAES is used for wide-area monitoring across potential leak
sources, such as pumps and valves.
When used in conjunction with point gas detectors such as the
SGOES, the TGA Open Path Detector is a key element in a
comprehensive early detection strategy.